Psychotherapy with couples is both multi-layered and complex, often challenging the most skilled of therapists. In this fast-paced, technology-driven era that we live in, where true connection is often at a premium, substance use has escalated to epidemic proportions. It is not uncommon for couple’s therapists to be confronted with the additional challenge of contending with a pernicious “third-party” that lurks within the shadows of distressed relationships: Addiction.
The Kansas City EFT Community invites you to join us this fall for our annual Emotionally Focused Therapy Externship!
The Externship is the first step in formal training in Emotionally Focused Therapy. It is also the first step toward becoming a Certified EFT Therapist.
The Kansas City Externship is an official training endorsed by the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT).
Welcome! The Kansas City EFT Community began in 2016 with only two EFT therapists meeting to review each other's session recordings. Over the course of a few years, our community has grown. We now have monthly meetings and are looking to expand our group to bring more collaboration and education to the Kansas City area. We hope you will join us at our next meeting.
Learn the various stages, key concepts and interventions used in EFFT.
Core Skills is the second level of training in Emotionally Focused Therapy, after the Externship.
In the Core Skills Series, participants will learn:
- Module 1: Steps 1 and 2. Participants will take a deeper look into creating the therapeutic alliance, assessment and techniques for identifying and reflecting the negative cycle.
- Module 2: Steps 3 and 4. Participants will look closer at deepening primary emotion for both withdrawers and pursuers. Participants will also learn how to effectively reframe the negative cycle to help couples see the cycle as the enemy, not each other.
- Module 3: Steps 5, 6 and 7 for Withdrawer Re-Engagement. Participants will enter the world of the withdrawer and learn how to work with the withdrawn partner toward re-engagement and re-bonding.
- Module 4: Steps 5, 6 and 7 for Pursuer Softening. Participants will enter the world of the pursuer and learn how to work with pursuers toward softening and re-bonding.
- Successful completion of the EFT Externship is required to attend Core Skills.
- Participants must be working with at least one couple.
- In order to successfully complete Core Skills, participants will be required to show a short video clip of their work with a couple.